Last October 12, UrbanTribe was invited to an exclusive sneak peek of what’s in store for partakers of the 2014 Titan Games.
Organized by WOD Nation, Fight Factory Manila, and Project Lifestyle Manila, The Titan Games is the Philippines’ First National Strongman Competition, where individuals with a strong mind and body are pushed to the limit by participating in timed physical challenges.
Set in the urban jungle of Manila, this year’s competition will be held at The Camp Taguig on November 9, 2014. Registration, claiming of shirts, and briefing starts 6:30 a.m.
To accommodate different fitness levels, there are novice and advanced divisions for both men and women. The differences in weights and reps for each division are summarized below.
|Challenge No.||Male Novice||Female Novice||Male Advanced||Female Advanced|
|1. Pump And Run
(30 reps back squats, 100 m sprint)
|75 lbs||55 lbs||135 lbs||95 lbs|
|2. Apollon’s Axe
(40 reps shoulder to overhead)
|75 lbs||55 lbs||115 lbs||75 lbs|
|3. The Sandman
(Front squat, shoulder to shoulder, box step-ups, deadlift, powerclean, 40 m overhead walk)
|70 lbs, 10 reps, 24 inch box||40 lbs, 10 reps, 20 inch box||70 lbs, 20 reps, 24 inch box||40 lbs, 20 reps, 20 inch box|
|4. Kettlebell Master
(Kettlebell swings, kettlebell cleans)
|16 kg, 40 reps||12 kg, 40 reps||32 kg, 50 reps||24 kg, 50 reps|
|5a. Prowler push/pull
(20 m pull, 20 m push)
|90 lbs||50 lbs||180 lbs||100 lbs|
|5b. Single-arm dumbbell floor to overhead||35 lbs||25 lbs||60 lbs||45 lbs|
|5c. 40 m yoke carry||80 lbs||60 lbs||140 lbs||80 lbs|
All participants are to complete the first four challenges. Only the five with the fastest total time in each division will move on to the final challenge. Neat prizes await the top three placers.
Organizers will be releasing the video of standards for the challenges, the final participant list, and reminders for all participants and spectators this week. So check out the Titan Games Official Facebook Page for updates.
Unfortunately, registration is already closed. But spectators can still compete in exciting side-challenges for free and win Php 1,000 worth of GNC gift certificates: the tree flip challenge, log clean and press, and deadlift/farmer’s carry. More information can be found here.
After trying out Crossfit, UrbanTribe has some tips to help the more-than-excited participants prepare for the Titan Games.
- The assumption here is that you are, at least, someone who occasionally exercises and carries weights. If not, this will be difficult for you.
- It’s important for you to warm up well. Focus on your legs, hips, and arms.
- If you have horrible grip or your palms are always sweaty, training gloves would be handy.
- All events are timed, but don’t be too pressured. Pace your reps smartly, and feel free to rest in between your sets.
- You might want to try out lifting the weights for your category as early as now, just to ensure your body won’t get shocked come competition time.
- The spotters are very strict in terms of counting reps and no reps. So read up and practice good form.
- There will be ample resting time in between challenges, so make the most out of it.
- Bring water and a hand towel.
Pump and Run
- You need to go low on your squats – your butt should be lower than your knees.
- Your legs might wobble, so ample pacing is necessary.
- Give yourself time to reassure your footing before running.
- You can put the barbell down after each of your sets, but that will still be counted against your time.
- Barbells should be carried from shoulder (below the collarbone) to overhead.
- When overhead, your arms, knees, and hips should all be locked out.
- The shoulder to shoulder requires balance and upper body strength.
- The apple boxes at 20 inches and 24 inches are high and might be difficult if you’re a bit short. As such, practice big steps while carrying weights.
- To perform the powerclean, you need the right amount of strength – too much though will jerk the sandbag too high.
- It’s important in the upswing to keep the ball as high as head level.
- Be careful not to hit your head during the cleans.
- You can change the active arm during the cleans.
Clash of the Titans
- Shoes with great grip are useful for the prowler push/pull.
- Same with the kettlebells, you can change the active arm during the dumbbell floor to overhead.
- The yoke carry may look easy, but it requires a strong core to keep the balance of active weights.
The Titan Games is not made to be easy. But with the right preparation and mindset, it is definitely conquerable. Good luck to all aspirants. Let the games begin!
Photo credits: Titan Games Facebook Page